Apart from pig feeding,
hen feeding and a spell at ‘Number 3’ looking at the inverter I ‘fixed’, that just about sums up my day really. I’ve been laid down, sat down, bent double and contorted into various positions under the Land Rover with a MIG welder and grinder once more. Hardly exciting stuff but it beats the carp out of the last welding job I did on her some ten years ago. That would be when I replaced the two front outriggers with my then new MIG 140amp welder purchased specially for the job. Then I was working outside, on gravel and probably in the rain, at least now I’ve a nice shed with a level concrete floor and it’s a relatively midge free zone.
First thing I did this morning on the Landy was to lower the Britpart ‘shitpart’ rear member onto the deck and hack another 43mm off it. I may have been commending Britpart on their fuel tank yesterday but their cross member was a full 19mm ‘off centre’. The rest of it was pretty good right enough and I don’t think anyone will notice that the towbar is three quarters of an inch nearer the middle of the road than the kerb. There was plenty of length on the chassis extensions and they are designed to slip over the old chassis but even after cutting more meat off it and cutting some slots in the corners I couldn’t get it to fit flush with the back of the Rover.
Lots of belting with a large hammer and blocks of wood did very little so I got a large ‘ratchet strap’ attached it to another cross member up front and pulled it in with that.
It worked a treat and was then followed by lots of welding,
most of it pretty ropey. Dunno if it’s the gas or the welder but the last lot I did was far neater than this ‘bird 5h1t’, still, it won’t fall off Perhaps I’m being harsh on myself considering that much of the time I was upside down with hot metal burning through my clothes
I did get it all welded into position right enough but that’s only half the job, next task was splicing the wiring loom back together.
The loom runs inside the chassis leg and must be cut to remove it, I fed it back through with a long nylon strap then pulled it tight with some bailer twine. This gave me enough slack to solder the dozen or so cables and cover them with ‘heat shrink’ tube, once joined I taped up the wires then pushed them back into the chassis. I’ve not tried the fuel gauge yet but everything else works just fine
By this time it was after 18:00 so I gave everything another coat of paint then called it a day, I am truly sick of Land Rovers now!