Life at the end of the road

August 27, 2017

The wandering anchor :-)

Filed under: boats, daily doings, How I — Tags: , , , , — lifeattheendoftheroad @ 6:28 am

After ‘shepherds delight’ of last night,

P1110991 P1110992

which saw Loch Arnish with three different pods of porpoises within its confines. Today was no a bad day at all and my commute to work was nothing short of amazing. Yesterday I’d seen a pair of golden eagles, a pair of sea eagles and the porpoises.



This morning it was red deer hinds at Brochel and the cruise ship Rotterdam all 61,000 tons of her heading for Portree.

P1110998 P1110997 Rotterdam

Her starboard (whoops, port Smile ) anchor already walked out to the waterline, cheers Ed Smile


Portree just waking up a few hours earlier.

It moved

Today’s plan was to set the anchor we’d roughly positioned the other day, due to the necessity of lifting the anchor at a very high tide we’d dropped it in a rough position only. The anchor had been floated out using half a dozen 25lt drums which just lifted it nicely. Air was let out when we thought it was in about the right place and it sank gently to the sea bed some 7m below. However, 6 hours later when the tide was some 3.2m lower it rose off the sea bed and floated off!!! I guess as the tide ebbed the air inside the drums expanded and the buoyancy increased. Net result being that the anchor made a bid for freedom, luckily it caught on a reef a few meters away and didn’t sail off into the sunset.


So, first job was to send my son down with a spare air cylinder to reflate the drums, adding another for good measure as one had become detached. This we did at half tide so as to get a better idea of the position. The apprentice did this without a hitch and shortly afterwards the anchor arose from the sea bed in a plume of bubbles. After towing the anchor into position air was let out of two drums and it gently submerged once more. This time it was my turn to go in armed with tools for shackling up the ground chain and a spare air cylinder to dig it in. The task was soon accomplished and a very solid mooring was fit for duty.

Another one!!!

Next dive was further out into 32m of water to investigate an old overgrown buoy that we’d partially explored a few days ago. We suspected it may lead us to something interesting but when we last checked it out we were towing a marker and it got wrapped around the riser preventing us from going any further. It was over 30m and we’d not much air left for messing about so we called it a day. Today we went down without a marker to follow the rope down only to find it just snaked along the sea bed around a few rocks and was just tied to a stone Sad smile Abandoning that we set off into shallower water looking for scallops and guess what, we found another anchor. This time it was the Nicolson’s of Torran mooring which had been lost a few years ago, luckily there was a large heavy rope attached to the tripping eye. The rope carried no buoy but it was long enough to reach the surface and we did manage to get a buoy onto it Smile

 Yamaha YFM 350 Bruin starter repair

That done I headed back on the Honda and my son the Yamaha which was in need of repair as the starter motor had failed. Funny thing about these quad starters is that most of them are the same, at least internally anyway. The Honda TRX 350 that I had for about 10 years required a new set of brushes every year and they were extortionate, around £35 for genuine Honda ones. The Yamaha which uses the same brushes in virtually the same starter has only had one set up until now, that was a couple of years ago when it was ten years old!! A ‘couple of years ago’ my foot, I see that post is four years old so not bad. I also see that last time I removed the fuel tank, this time I just loosened it and lifted it up at the rear.

P1120003 P1120004


Sadly, this time I had no spares so had to improvise.

 P1120005 P1120006 P1120007 P1120008

As usual the brushes had worn out and were no longer touching the commutator. As it’s a bank holiday and the quad is in daily use the chances are that one will not arrive until my mate actually leaves, so I did some bodgeneeing on it. I use a small die grinder and cut a few mm into the brush holders which allowed them to drop a little deeper and touch the commutator. It worked a treat and I’ve now ordered some replacements which should do both the Honda and Yamaha.


At low tide, around 18:00 Molly and I went to check on the mooring position and help my mate shackle on the riser. With all ‘fine and dandy’ in that department we returned home and shucked the days catch.


Fine quality scallops indeed these and just look at the size of this one. Here’s a video taken on Christmas eve some 7 years ago of how to do it, complete with dinner table banter from the family and Jan Turell’s unique laugh. How we all miss that here on Raasay and at Arnish in particular.

I guess that was about it so I’ll leave you with the MS Rotterdam heading north under the Storr after a day’s visit to Portree.

Blog at