Well, that’s the last full day off of the ‘rest week’, tomorrow it’ll be ‘back to the grind’ so to speak. To be honest I’ll be glad to get back aboard the Hallaig for a rest, these long days working on the ‘wee hoose’ have got me ‘pure knackerated’.
I had intended getting something down on here after Saturday’s ‘Chicken Run’ to see ‘Donald the Hen’ and Katie but got distracted by the neighbours.
I left Arnish at 8:00am after filling a couple of buckets of the telehandler and depositing them on the neighbours croft. Then it was off south in the ‘Old Girl’ to pick up our dear friend Jessie Nicolson for our trip to Skye. It was only a visit to Portree for feed then a run to Struan to collect 20 more ISA brown pullets for wifey. Raasay’s oldest resident has a soft spot for chooks so I thought it was about time I took her to meet Donald and his wife Katie, who herself hails from Raasay.
Once we’d done a ‘wee shop’ at the Coey and loaded up with hen feed we drove the ten miles or so west to Struan. Our arrival at ‘Chicken central’ was greeted with coffee, biscuits and home made scones, all accompanied with great craic, reminisces and a few Gaelic sayings that I’ve promptly forgotten One was definitely about crowing hens though
After the best part of an hour we had to depart to catch the ferry, leaving Molly to ‘watch’ the chooks on the way back.
A couple of extra passengers hitched a lift over to Raasay us with and we dropped those off in Willie Eyre’s ‘Space age hen house’ https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2008/03/15/the-worst-lister-and-the-best-hen-house/ You would ever believe it was seven years old and made from old bits of plastic pipe and surfboard sail!!!
Molly helped me unload the chooks into their new home in our ‘solar powered hen house’. They’ll be kept separate from the others for a few days but they can see each other through a grill in the door, that way they get used to each other so don’t fight.
The Trace SW4548e
The last posting had the Dude and I going to see Bill Cowie on Rona to collect some old Trace inverters that had died. Now these inverters are probably the best and most rugged ones ever made but they’re sadly lacking in any kind of support or a UK dealer. They were taken over by Xantrex about ten years ago then ‘swallowed up’ by the much larger Schneider Electric who have no interest whatsoever in repairing, supplying parts or even offering any kind of schematics for these old units. Consequently it’s very difficult to get them repaired and their immense weight often means that the cost of carriage alone makes it uneconomic.
So when my old one at ‘number 3’ died two weeks ago it didn’t look like good news for the new owners However with these two old units from Rona I thought I may be able to sort something out. A rather ambitious thought really when you consider I’m no electrician and haven’t got a clue about electronics.
With the Rona units safely in the barn my son and I went around to the old homestead to remove the 4.5kW unit from ‘Cyril’s shed’.
Now, I know 63kg isn’t that heavy but it is when its on the wall, in a package so small and all the heavy bits are at one end. I have lifted one of these on and off the wall on my own but would advise against it.
With that slid off the wall onto a plastic box and then the rear rack of the quad we took it up to Sonas.
First thing I did was rig it up to a 48v power supply ( a rectifier unit from a UPS system). I was hoping for smoke, sparks and a burning smell so I could identify the faulty components but no such luck
All it did was to keep tripping as soon as I switched it on and the interior gave no clues as to what may be wrong. None of the capacitors were swollen, no sign or smell of burnt components and everything seemed to be connected.
In desperation I disconnected the three toroid’s from the ‘AC board’ that seems to control everything and tried it again. This powered up the inverter and what’s more it produced 229VAC and did not trip
Time was ‘marching on’ though and I had to make dinner for the guests that would be visiting within the hour.
An excellent evening followed and my vegetarian chilli went down a treat,
however, things didn’t look (or feel) so rosy in the morning
Despite or perhaps even because of the high blood alcohol content I managed to fix the inverter
The output from the three toroids goes to that ‘chocolate block’ on the ‘AC board’ top right. That’s the whole board and it sits on the light end of the inverter, Removal is quite straight forward, just 8 screws, 4 soldered wires to the two fans, that ‘chocolate block’ and a ribbon cable. The end casing needs removed but that’s just a few rivets to drill out and two more ribbon cables.
You can see the black and white wires from the torroids top right. I just took the AC board from one of the other inverters and fitted in place of the one I’d removed.
Lo and behold, 230v and 50Hz, OK, 49.99
We refitted the inverter back in Cyril’s shed, re set all the parameters and ‘hey presto’ it works a treat
A sad end
As for other stuff,
well, I reluctantly pulled down the old Rutland wind turbine mast at the back of ‘number 3’.
I also did much road building up at the hen house
and started preparing the front window lintels for the new house. As you can see, they’re old railway sleepers, trust me, they’ll look amazing in that natural stone gable.