Life at the end of the road

July 12, 2014

Blame the scrumpy :-) hic

Filed under: daily doings, Land Rover, wind turbine — Tags: , , , — lifeattheendoftheroad @ 9:36 pm

 

it’s not my fault, no, any disjointed grammar or random ramblings can be attributed to Mr Weston and not me Smile

   011

The hen lady and MiL are back and have been shopping, so, in amongst the cases of chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, olives, muesli and corned dog, I found this. Weston’s cloudy scrumpy cider, and it takes me right back to South Shields almost two years ago when it was my tipple of choice. Flat as a ‘witches tit’ and murky as a ‘London fog’ it has to be up there with Buckfast in the ‘bang for buck’ department, seriously at less the a fiver for two litres and the right side of 7% this stuff is dynamite Smile Of course not having had a bevy for almost a week ‘lowers the threshold’ somewhat but it is lovely stuff.

The new Proven

So, now I’ve got my excuses out of the way I’ll bash on with the ‘daily doings’, well, for a start I was up late and expecting the day to be carp. However I was pleasantly surprised for the morning was dry, if not a little grey, but certainly not the rain forecast by   http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ . After the usual bout of feeding the herd and flock I turned my attention once more to Lachie’s telehandler.

I had organized some extra bodies to help the Dude and I install the new wind turbine https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/the-thousand-mile-epic/ that I’d acquired earlier this year. The ‘brief’ to my mates had been along the lines of ‘just come around sometime after midday’ and being well before 12:00 I started to prepare things for their arrival.

I had basically abandoned the two section Proven mast in March on account of the ground being too soft to support the weight of the JCB. With the good spell of weather it was nicely dried out now and ideal for safely moving large loads with heavy machinery.

 

 001

The first task was to move the top section out of the way to allow me access to the heavier bottom section.

 

002 003 004 005

The base section had been left at the foot of the rock outcrop where it was going in March due to a lack of traction with the telehandler. Now with the ground suitably ‘baked and cracked’ I picked it up and carried around to the mounting I’d ‘drilled and bonded’ to the rock.

 

007

I even managed to get the first section up there and the ‘pivot pin’ in place all on my own, and still it was dry Smile

Right on cue, the rest of the team turned up and we managed to pick up the top section and lift that into place.

008  009

With a rope on each end of the mast and the boom shortened it was a fairly simple task to slot it onto the lower section, just like assembling a fishing rod.

 

010

However, unlike a fishing rod we used a Tirfor to pull the two sections together Smile

The Tirfor worked really well and we actually pulled the two sections together more than the had been previously!! The next stage would have been to lift the turbine head onto the end but it started pishing down. It was 14:00, we were well ahead of schedule and I saw no point in getting wet and miserable. Lifting the head would be well within the capabilities of the Dude and I so we ‘called it a day’ as far as the Proven was concerned.

200TDi rear main oil seal

I also had plenty I could be doing to the Disco engine sat in my dry workshop, the proper gasket had arrived for the flywheel housing and that would allow me to progress a great deal.

012 013 014 015 016

The genuine gasket is quite thick and laminated, it also has beads of sealer around the joints that lead directly to the crankcase. Even so I took no chances and sealed it all with blue ‘Hylomar’. The flywheel bolts too lead directly into the crankcase, these I sealed with ‘green Hermatite’ something that you probably can’t get these days.

 

017

Green ‘Hermoshite’ as we used to call it ‘when I was a lad’ is a hard setting jointing compound and I used that on the rear main oil seal too.

When you buy a genuine seal for £12 as opposed to a ‘Britpart Sh1tpart’ one for £3 it comes with an installer to fit it over the crank.

018 019 020 

I used a piece of 110mm steel tube to carefully tap the seal into place but I guess you could do it with 110mm soil or drain pipe.

021 022 023 024

The flywheel was fitted the clutch assembled and the block painted, all in all a good days work Smile

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.