Hmmm, not had the best of luck lately in the mechanical department, in fact, since I last posted I’ve not really achieved a great deal despite spending hours under my Landy covered in gear oil. My luck has been alternating between good and bad since I crawled under the ‘Old Girl’ and it’s been a case of ‘one step forward, two steps back’.
Removing an LT230 transfer box from a Land Rover
It all got off to a rather splendid start on Wednesday night when I phoned up a good friend in Carbost with a similar affliction to mine. This will be the malaria like malady that strikes down unwary Land Rover owners at their first purchase and leaves them with lifelong recurring bouts of sickness. An easily diagnosed condition, you can tell a sufferer by his black fingernails, pale complexion, stained garments and oil soaked driveway.
Anyway, when I phoned up my similarly afflicted mate and enquired if he had a Defender transfer box of 1.166 :1 ratio he said he might just be able to sort me out. Even better he would be visiting the Hallaig on Thursday!!!! Talk about synchronicity, I even had to go down to the ferry to collect four pigs that morning.
Well, it was actually ‘pigs in boxes’ so didn’t need the Land Rover and trailer, just as well
It really is like malaria!!!
Well, it’ll be Thursday the 3rd of July now, almost three weeks since I started this lame effort, but I’ve been somewhat distracted by the other two ladies in my life. The MV Hallaig has been demanding all my daily attention and the LR Old Girl all my evenings and more. Years ago I swore I’d never have another Land Rover, and I’d certainly never recommend one to a friend, but just like the malaria and lime’s disease, once you’ve got it you’re never truly rid of it.
I thought that I’d finally exorcized the ‘Demon of Solihull’ a few months ago when I went to Inverness in Lachie’s Ranger https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/i-think-i-need-a-ranger/ . Sadly, a week underneath ‘the beast’ changing transfer gears just seemed to rekindle the old flame within. Sure it’s out dated, oily, noisy, uneconomical, small and uncomfortable but it’s unsurpassed ‘off road’, cheap to repair, cheap to insure, and has never ever failed to get me to work or home, even when the snow plough couldn’t make it to Arnish for over a week!!!
Unfortunately this rekindled relationship has left me glued to the internet studying all things ‘Defender’, though I have to confess at hating that name bestowed upon the only true ‘Land Rover’ by Ford Motor Company. It’s not a frigging ‘Defender’ it’s a Land Rover, the other ‘pansy’ things are Discovery’s and Freelander’s
A tale of two ratios
Anyway, more for my benefit than anyone else’s I’ll fill you in with the saga, Land Rover fitted 3 different ratios to the LT230 transfer box, 1.222:1, for the early 90’s and 110’s, 1.410:1, for the later TDi onwards 90’s and 110’s and 1.667:1, for the Discovery. They’re all sort of interchangeable if you swap the input gear and I had the early one fitted. To cut a long story short I did much messing about with several old transfer boxes and gear sets and finally managed to get the ‘Old Girl’ ready for the road with one case of lager and several gallons of phosphoric acid to clean up the rusty gears. The lager being payment and the acid a great great remover of ferric oxide, and in the unlikely event of anyone actually reading this that does the job, ‘you can’t use the early 26 tooth input gear on the later 26 tooth input gear cluster’
So, if you ever need to remove an LT230 transfer box from a Landy then use three long M10 studs to stop you damaging the oil seal. Then when you come to rebuild it cut a length of 25mm alkythene pipe and then split it with a hacksaw.
Shove the split pipe into the cluster with the bearings as a ‘dummy shaft’ then lower it into place with a bit of green string, OK, any colour will do
So, by the Tuesday prior to returning to work I’d got the ‘Old Girl’ mobile again and was suitably enthused with my Land Rover to admonish myself of all responsibility of the blog The Land Rover wasn’t actually fixed proper for my acid and grinding with the 100mm sanding disc had left me with a substantial whine but I’d expected that anyway. At least I was mobile and could now concentrate on stuff around the croft and turn my attention to the 200Tdi Discovery I’d been given
Of course it wasn’t all ‘plain sailing’ for I’d the pishing rain to contend with, hens and pigs, the later of which managed to wander off with a steel bush and exhaust clamp!
That last image is my gears bubbling away in acid!
Oh, and that’ll be the bomb that I planted on MV Hallaig (drill of course)
How to ‘cure’ a broody hen
Three weeks this hen’s been broody so we took her for a twenty mile drive in the Land Rover
seemed to do the trick
Making a hen dust bath from an old oil tank
Where would we be without old Balmoral oil tanks
Of course you do need sand and this we got from the shore.
And by ‘we’, I mean Molly and I
And I thought I was bad for collecting rubbish
Ben Tianavaig with a woolly hat, taken from Glam.
Relish http://www.relishskye.co.uk/ on Wentworth St Portree, the place to buy ‘Arnish Eggs’ on Skye
The community owned shop on Raasay being the other place.
The Sunday drill,
the new engine for the ‘Old Girl’, a 200TDi Discovery lump with a mere 153,000 on the clock, mine has 224,000 and is still ‘going strong’.