Not totally miserable today by any means, it wasn’t even proper rain, but that stuff that seems unique to this part of Scotland, the dreaded ‘Scotch mist’. This stuff lulls you into a false sense of security, it doesn’t so much ‘fall from the sky’ as hang in the air, cling to your clothes then slowly but inexorably creeps through to your skin. Well, that’s what greeted me and the pigs this morning at 7:30, I include them because even they couldn’t be bothered going out in it and a pig seldom thinks of anything other than food.
The prospect of getting a roof on the ‘solar powered hen shed’ seemed quite slim so I once more busied myself about the croft in oilskins, clearing drains and making a bonfire. Not that I’ll be lighting it for several months at this rate as most of the pallets and wood that went on it was well and truly waterlogged.
Eventually, around the time of ‘second breakfast’, somewhere between removing a roll of escalator hand rail from behind a shed and scalding a hen for eating polystyrene it cleared With barely ‘enough blue sky to make a sailors trousers with’ I dragged the boy out of his bed and up to the shed.
It is far far easier handling 8’ sheets of OSB and 12’ sheets of ‘crinkly tin’ with an extra pair of hands, and of course a forklift After getting on so famously yesterday with my son assisting I felt it was crucial to get as much done as possible whilst the rain was off.
The rain may have ‘been off’ but it had certainly left its mark and that would be as far as the telehandler would be going today. Still it beat the carp out of carrying them up one at a time on my own
The roof will be the most significant cost of this whole project and I’d have been happier with second hand, but at the time I couldn’t find any. Typically I came across a pile recently that would have done the job nicely but that’s life I guess. The older stuff is far better quality and only ever rusty at the edges anyway, chop a foot off each end then repaint it and it’s far better than this stuff. For any hope of paint sticking to this you’ve to let it weather for a couple of years at least or treat it with an etch primer.
Also I gave up on those hopeless ‘drive screws’ and their pathetic rubber cups years ago.
That twisted nail on the right with its hard plastic washer is what is normally used but they’re expensive and pants, the hole is invariably too large and the rubber or plastic either too soft or too hard. If the material isn’t firm enough you risk hammering the drive screw through the thing and if it’s too hard (as most of them are now being made of plastic) then the sheet deforms before the cap seals.
what I use these days are these,
5 x 70mm stainless steel screws, though 5 x 50mm is quite adequate.
First punch a tiny hole, 2 or 3mm is plenty big enough, then just screw the thing in with a cordless drill, the sharp point on the screw will do the rest and then make a perfect seal as it presses against the steel sheet.
That’ll be me five sheets short then not that I miscalculated, well, OK, I did, but only by one sheet (same went for the OSB), no I only received nine of the thirteen I ordered
That was it really, I emptied the Land Rover of feed and hitched up the trailer ready for a trip to Inverness tomorrow to collect lintels and mullions for the new hoose.