Life at the end of the road

February 7, 2014

Concrete and creosote :-)

Filed under: boats, daily doings, shed/house — Tags: — lifeattheendoftheroad @ 8:52 pm

I’m gonna pay for this tomorrow that’s for sure and I don’t think the Radox will dull the pain, so I’d better have a single malt instead.

After yesterday’s slightly disappointing weather, today’s forecast was viewed with suspicion, as according to XC Weather it looked similar. Stepping out of the front door at 7:15 however was a vast improvement on Thursday, for a start it was dry and visibly lighter to the east. Still it can change in ‘the bat of an eye’ here so I didn’t  set my aspirations too high so as not to be disappointed, full daylight would bring more of a clue.

Heading down to catch the first sailing ex Raasay we spotted the Sound of Harris ferry, Loch Portain heading towards her regular route having just been dry docked. The Marine Traffic website said last night that she was travelling from Greenock to Raasay, so I’m guessing she must have been to ‘Garvel Clyde’ and the James Watt dry dock for her annual refit.


I reckon she left Raasay around seven thirty and an hour later she was opposite Loch Arnish as I returned home


on what was turning into a peach of a day.

On with the shed

As usual I fed the pigs, hens and collected the eggs as soon as I got back home and then deciding what was ‘on for the day’. Well it was dry and looked like it would stay that way so I set upon some concreting. The ‘solar powered hen shed’ was needing securing firmly to Scotland and I’d been giving it much thought over the last few months. My initial plan had been to just concrete the ten uprights into the peat but I figured that just sitting the whole bottom end of the sturdy larch uprights would promote rot. Consequently I filled the bottom of the holes with rammed rocks first figuring that this may help, as strainer posts set in stones always seem to outlive ones set in concrete. However Strainer posts don’t have any upward pressure on them like a 30’ x 12’ roof full of solar panels, so I reasoned that a mixer full of concrete around the base of each post would make a good anchorage.



It was a rather long winded affair as the aggregate need trailered to the mixer one load at a time then I could use the same trailer to carry each mix up to the shed. It all worked out rather well though, thanks to Hookies new road up there and each mix being just enough for one leg.



Half of the holes were full of water so I pumped that out first, then knocked in some 4” galvanized nails to act as anchors for the concrete,



I would have preferred 6” but couldn’t find them.


Whilst I was at this Donald was busy on the roof


which by the end of the day was about 90% finished Smile


At 13:00 I was ordered in for lunch and was pleased to see our own solar array generating nicely

010 011

only about 280w but with not a breath of wind it all helps.



Around 15:00 I got the concreting finished and everything power washed



prior to finishing off the evening creosoting. I never got it finished, pig duty called and the light was failing Sad smile

Still, there is always tomorrow, which looks like yet another peachy day, and between the 10 year old Jura and the Radox I feel ready for anything Smile



  1. Paul.
    For your aches and pains ask your Doctor for MOVALAT best little tube of cream ever. Looks like you’ve got a break in the weather I’m sure you’ll use it to the best.

    Comment by Polite Scouser — February 7, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

  2. Enjoy a brief but big fat rest mate. You work hard and also need to play / rest hard.

    Comment by Lloyd — February 7, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

  3. Hi Paul

    I assume from the size of the new hen house that your good lady is planning to increase her hen stock? All the more delicious Arnish eggs for us when we get up there 🙂

    Comment by Derek — February 8, 2014 @ 10:04 am

  4. Loch Portain’s route north from Garvel (she was docked with Loch Shira) was via Largs , Craignure (overnight) then a quick call at Fishnish before heading for Raasay. Loch Bhrusda didn’t hang around the Sound of Harris for long after Loch P’s return ; she headed almost immediately in your direction.
    Thanks for posting a photo of Loch P moored at Raasay.

    Comment by Nigel Macleod — February 8, 2014 @ 10:30 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: