I’m gonna pay for this tomorrow that’s for sure and I don’t think the Radox will dull the pain, so I’d better have a single malt instead.
After yesterday’s slightly disappointing weather, today’s forecast was viewed with suspicion, as according to XC Weather it looked similar. Stepping out of the front door at 7:15 however was a vast improvement on Thursday, for a start it was dry and visibly lighter to the east. Still it can change in ‘the bat of an eye’ here so I didn’t set my aspirations too high so as not to be disappointed, full daylight would bring more of a clue.
Heading down to catch the first sailing ex Raasay we spotted the Sound of Harris ferry, Loch Portain heading towards her regular route having just been dry docked. The Marine Traffic website said last night that she was travelling from Greenock to Raasay, so I’m guessing she must have been to ‘Garvel Clyde’ http://www.forth-group.co.uk/index.php?page=garvel-clyde-ltd-greenock and the James Watt dry dock for her annual refit.
I reckon she left Raasay around seven thirty and an hour later she was opposite Loch Arnish as I returned home
on what was turning into a peach of a day.
On with the shed
As usual I fed the pigs, hens and collected the eggs as soon as I got back home and then deciding what was ‘on for the day’. Well it was dry and looked like it would stay that way so I set upon some concreting. The ‘solar powered hen shed’ was needing securing firmly to Scotland and I’d been giving it much thought over the last few months. My initial plan had been to just concrete the ten uprights into the peat but I figured that just sitting the whole bottom end of the sturdy larch uprights would promote rot. Consequently I filled the bottom of the holes with rammed rocks first figuring that this may help, as strainer posts set in stones always seem to outlive ones set in concrete. However Strainer posts don’t have any upward pressure on them like a 30’ x 12’ roof full of solar panels, so I reasoned that a mixer full of concrete around the base of each post would make a good anchorage.
It was a rather long winded affair as the aggregate need trailered to the mixer one load at a time then I could use the same trailer to carry each mix up to the shed. It all worked out rather well though, thanks to Hookies new road up there and each mix being just enough for one leg.
Half of the holes were full of water so I pumped that out first, then knocked in some 4” galvanized nails to act as anchors for the concrete,
I would have preferred 6” but couldn’t find them.
Whilst I was at this Donald was busy on the roof
which by the end of the day was about 90% finished
At 13:00 I was ordered in for lunch and was pleased to see our own solar array generating nicely
only about 280w but with not a breath of wind it all helps.
Around 15:00 I got the concreting finished and everything power washed
prior to finishing off the evening creosoting. I never got it finished, pig duty called and the light was failing
Still, there is always tomorrow, which looks like yet another peachy day, and between the 10 year old Jura and the Radox I feel ready for anything