True to form I was once more up waaay too early, untrue to form I actually made a start on my VAT return, though I abandoned that as soon as the grey light of dawn appeared. One can be far too enthusiastic about these things, after all I wouldn’t want to be getting on time would I. That would make them all suspicious at customs and excise if I handed my return in on time
The plan was to go up to the chicken shed straight after feeding but that went pear shaped when the quad wouldn’t start. Not that I actually needed it, for I could have used the Honda, but the Yamaha has one of these annoying faults that only rears its head occasionally and it chose this morning to do it.
Sometimes the starter doesn’t work, no click, nothing, the solenoid is receiving its earth signal via the starter switch 29 (L/B) but the wire from the CDI unit (L/B) 8 isn’t live and it should be. Or at least it should be with the ignition on and gear lever in neutral.
Obvious things to check are the neutral and reverse switches and of course all the connections but I’ve already done that. Well all the connections that you can reach without major surgery, which is what I did next
There’s a whole load of them under that cover but it’s a pain to remove so I’ve been reluctant to do it until the fault appeared. Of course it usually manifests itself when you’re miles from tools or in the middle of doing something important. Fortunately the Yamaha 350 has a pull start. It’s not exactly easy to ‘pull’ right enough but it can be done after a bacon sandwich and before too much beer.
Anyway, a couple of hours ‘fettling’ fixed nothing, I broke, cleaned and remade every connector block to no avail. In the end I pulled the starter cord and she fired up, and that’s the annoying thing, once started the fault seems to clear
So I built the thing up and resolved to study the wiring diagram once again, which I did, and I’m still ‘non the wiser’
Eight little piggies
A couple of hours up on the roof of the hen shed followed, whereupon I got blasted with hail, rain and saw several rainbows before returning home for lunch. It was then that I was taken by complete surprise
Ellie had, sometime between feeding at 8:00am and lunch at 12:30 ‘dropped’ eight piglets and her afterbirth!!!!!!
Of course I didn’t know there were eight at first
it was only after I’d finished my soup and home made bread that I got a good look at them.
We weren’t expecting them until the 17th but they’re wee crackers and should be weaned first week in January.
The showers became a little less frequent in the afternoon but I was still hampered by all my layers of clothing and waterproofs so progress was slow.
Still, I was pleased by the result
of my days labour.