Just had to get out of bed early this morning as I was gripped with an enthusiasm that I’ve not had in a long while. It’s my latest couple of projects, the wee turnip and the BIG hen shed that have been getting me excited. As soon as it was light enough I was off up the hill to the new house, well I was once I’d put the bins out, fed the pigs, filled in some forms and had ‘first breakfast’.
The wind that had been so good at filling the little wind turbine’s blades up there had also knocked a couple of my uprights ‘out of plum’ and I’d the devils own job of getting them all squared up again. The wind was far stronger and steadier than forecast, which had my batteries bubbling nicely
though I’d take the readings on the Chinese ammeter with a pinch of salt. The turbine is only rated at 200w and according to those gauges 20amps x 28volts = 560 watts!!!!! The vintage CAV Lucas jobby suggested only 10amps which I’d say was more realistic at 280w , especially as I only used 2.5mm square cable from the turbine to controller, a distance of some 50m. Ideally it should be four times thicker than that to get the best out of the turbine but it was all I had and the turbine is only for keeping the generator batteries charged. The excess gets blown about the shed as heat from the controller.
The cheap and cheerful Yangzhou Shenzhou seemed to be furling sweetly and correctly too,
as the wind speed increased, the offset yaw bearing pushed the turbine head around leaving the hinged tail into the wind and slowing down the blades.
There was however a pretty awful vibration at the midrange speeds despite my careful balancing, however that seems to be pretty standard for these machines. In short, you get what you pay for and whilst this turbine has been great fun it’s hardly a ‘fit and forget’ piece of machinery.
After watching my turbine for a while then tightening all the high tensile guys I turned my attention to the shed. I find high tensile fencing wire and ‘wire tighteners’ far superior and longer lasting than wire rope and ‘turnbuckles’. For a start they’re a helluva lot cheaper, don’t come undone, don’t seize up, last longer and look neater. OK, they’re not ideal inn applications where you’d lower the mast regularly but combined with ‘drilling and pinning’ the rock you can get them far far tighter than wire rope and turnbuckles.
The shed will be 32’ x 8’ and split into three 8’ x 8’ hen hooses plus an 8’ x 8’ store at one end with a nice big window in. It’s going to have a wooden base on account of me not being able to easily get the mixer up there just now It’ll also have electric light and an insulated roof to keep it cool in summer and warmer in winter. The height might not be quite as in the sketches as I need to steepen the angle a little for the solar panels on the roof.
A good deal of bracing and levelling was required to get the front all ‘shipshape’ before we could set about the back.
The job was not helped by the torrential rain through the night that had made the ground waterlogged .
Even with assistance from wifey I only managed two posts today, a combination of the carp weather and me having to remove hundreds of nails from the second hand timber I was using.
Still, that is going to be one cosy shed when it’s finished
and I did get a coat of gloss on my battery shelf