Aching all over despite soaking in a deep hot bath until I looked like a prune, It’s not been a bad day weather wise the few showers were short and I got much done.
At least I did once I’d taken the Dude down to the ferry, mind you it was pitch black when we set off at 7:00. We’d left early in the hope of bagging a rabbit on the way to school, for they have at last started to appear again in numbers. However it was not to be despite seeing four before the Arnish cattle grid.
It seemed to be a much scabbier day down at the ferry terminal than up north, damp after heavy rain through the night but hardly a breath of wind and fine enough not to wear a jacket.
This fine stag just sauntered over the hill near the car park with four hinds in tow just as I arrived home around 8:30 to start work on the new hen hoose. I say hen house but it’s actually a 30’ x 8’ mounting for a 4kw solar PV array that will have a hen shed underneath it Any sane person would have built a frame out of scaffolding or even bought a proper one but not me, no I turn a simple job of knocking up an A frame into a major construction project. Not only that but I try and do it for nothing, or at least not very much, for a start the 6” x 4” uprights I made from 10’ lengths of 12” x 4” larch planks washed up on the beach.
I rescued about a dozen of these that had washed off the old iron ore pier in a storm about 5 years ago, some I turned into bridges and a bench but five of them have been awaiting use stored on end under a tree.
My circular saw only has a 3.25” cut so I made do with the chainsaw, screwing a batten to the timbers as a guide.
Some of lovely red larch was a little rotten around where the steel bolts went through it but nothing that would affect its strength, it was severely OTT for size anyway.
Picking the five best for the ‘high side’ I set off to the new house site to start erecting them.
On the whole it was pretty straight forward with only one problem hole out of the five, the main headache being the water that insisted on filling them just as fast as I dug.
The hardest part is actually getting them all square and in the right place
but I was pretty chuffed with the result. Once I get all ten in, finally squared and levelled off then I’ll fill the holes with concrete.
Once I was happy with my recycled pier timbers I set about parting large bits of Raasay House, or at least bits of it that belong to the defunct ROK construction. The many many tons of new timbers had to be replaced by Mansell, who kindly gave them to anyone willing to remove them.
Needless to say there was more than one shed went up on Raasay that year Me I had two full trailer loads of six by two and even after building Harry’s shed I’ve still got a pile. The hardest job is splitting it and removing the nails but patience, a hardwood wedge and heavy hide hammer work miracles.
That was it really and more of the same tomorrow I’m afraid