A few moments to myself whilst the sausages cook so I’ll finish off last nights effort which had me ‘home at last’.
The Dude, Molly and I wandered the hills in the sunshine, sitting down for five minutes above Tarbert to admire ‘Calum’s road’ and ‘Rainey’s wall’ or is that Rainy’s wall, I’m never sure.
The daft wee dog taking a barking fit at a sole cyclist almost a quarter of a mile away, she may have a ‘screw loose’ but there’s nothing wrong with her eyesight.
It was in fact the busiest day I’ve seen at the north end since the foot and mouth epidemic of some twelve years ago, with a full car park and a large group of walkers. Well they couldn’t have picked a better day for it that’s for sure, even the path to Torran and Fladda had the air of Sauchiehall street on Saturday about it.
Servicing a Lister ST2
As is customary for the weekend the Dude and I went over to the ‘Old Schoolhouse’ http://www.uniquescotland.com/raasayschool/index.html to check over the batteries, turbine and solar panels that power this idyllic let. Well we did in between passing the ‘time of day’ with the many walkers, something that always amuses me
As well as the topping up of batteries and checking the ‘Harris hydro’ turbine we decided to give the 70’s vintage Lister ST2 a service. The renewable energy system of 1260w of solar panels and a constant couple of hundred watts from the hydro turbine means that this generator does little work. In all honesty it’s probably only done 150 hours since I last serviced it a couple of years ago. There’s no hour meter on it but I can tell by the amount of fuel it has used, which is around 300lts. Even under full load this 1500RPM 7kW generator only burns 2lts/hour, so 150 would be the max.
After running the lump of ‘old iron’ for a good half hour, the first thing that I did was ‘make life easy for myself’ by replacing the 1/2” BSP taper sump plug with a length of hydraulic hose with a tap on. Something that I’ve done on all my own as it saves an awful lot of mess, the oil can then be drained straight into a container. However I also fitted a brass blanking plug on the end of the tap just to prevent accidental opening and leaks.
As well as renewing the 8pts of oil in the sump I also cleaned out and changed the oil in the air filter, replaced the fuel and oil filters, checked the torque of the base mounting bolts. The batteries were checked for electrolyte and all wiring checked for abrasion and security as well as the front and rear alternator bearings being greased. A look through the cooling grills on the Brush generator revealed plenty of life in both the DC brushes and AC slip rings and that was about it. Mr Lister would be good for another couple of years at least with nothing other than a few hundred litres of diesel
Anyway, its time to go back outside now.