Life at the end of the road

September 29, 2011

A serious piece of Scotland :-(

Filed under: daily doings, listers — lifeattheendoftheroad @ 9:19 pm

Another great day at the north end after a shaky start, not the high twenties of the south, probably half that but fine, fresh, midge free and great for digging 🙂 Of course it was pretty miserable when I fed the pigs this morning but that soon cleared and by 11:00am all was rosy and sunny, though Skye seemed to be getting it’s fair share of showers when I gazed westwards.

The damp start had me pottering about in the shed to start with, trying to sort out a starter for my recently acquired Lister SR2. I’d given up on the complex electronic system that I’d considered to operate the DC motor within the alternator and purchased a second hand starter ring gear from Doug at Real Diesels http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/listeridentification.html . The original Lister system of electric starting is quite difficult to do remotely unless you already have a ‘StartOmatic’ as it requires the decompression levers to be operated just after the engine has bee ‘spun up’ by the DC windings in the alternator. Fitting a ring gear to the flywheel would allow me to use a conventional starter motor, which I knew  I had.

290911 002

Only trouble being that when I did eventually fine the brand new unit, it was a little larger than I remembered 😦   Had that been the only problem I could have just sorted it by fitting a smaller pinion, the SR has 10 or 11 teeth but the HR (from where this came) has 13. However what I’d failed to take into account was that the HR2 starter is on the opposite side of the engine so spins the wrong way 😦 Still, you learn by your mistakes and I’ve still got it as a spare for Harry, my HR2.

pigs 028

In fact this brand new starter came with a box of spares that I got with Harry and if you were to buy one it would cost almost as much as I paid for the generator 🙂

Even before the ‘Scotch mist’ cleared Molly and I set off overland to restart work on the 800m long pipe that will supply my latest hydro turbine. I’ve been having the devils own job to try and keep this flowing for more than a few days due to its many undulations before reaching the turbine site at Tarbert. The problem being that some (I’m not sure which) of the high points were air is getting trapped are under ‘negative pressure’ so a conventional bleed valve will not work.

The first one where the pipe comes out of the loch and rises over the bank is the most obvious but after that, and without any kind of surveying equipment it’s a bit ‘hit and miss’. So today I started working my way along the pipe to try and see where the problem lay.

290911 003

I chose this spot a couple of hundred meters along the penstock as a starting point, figuring that I’d get the siphon running here and see how long it lasted.

290911 005

Then breaking the joint I fitted a reducer, valve, pressure gauge and ball valve. leaving running fully open to remove any air in the system whilst I turned my attention to the loch bank. I’m not convinced that the problem lies here for I had a siphon running over it for a couple of months with no issues. However it was only about 60m or so long and very inch that I can reduce the height of it should help.

My first probing through the peat with a long steel pinch bar where not very encouraging but I laid a line along the most promising route and started digging.

290911 011

Not a great picture but after an initial healthy start a came upon a rather solid bit of Scotland, Torridonian sandstone I think and in terms of rock quite soft, but not with a pick, spade and pry bar 😦 That was about two hours work and it was all I could manage, even after taking wee breaks to go and check on my siphon.

290911 008

It was still passing some air but when shut off the gauge read 24psi which from memory is 2.31ft per psi, so around 55’ or 17m which came as a bit of a surprise for it did not seem that much lower than the loch (must get a laser level 🙂 ). This was good news indeed for it means that I can at least remove some of the air here via a conventional valve like this http://www.ventomat.com/content_sub.asp?ssID=20 (thanks Steve H) or even by drilling a small hole and letting the air escape naturally (thanks Hugh).

 

290911 006

All this backbreaking work had caused me to take more than the odd rest to sit and watch the sheep who had decided to do a spot of mountaineering 🙂

290911 012

You wouldn’t catch a pig doing that 🙂

The two slices of bacon that I’d had for breakfast some six hours earlier could sustain me no longer so I headed home for lunch.

 

290911 013

Passing this willow tree on the way that had been doing battle with some horny stag 🙂

Then onto Torran to look at the http://www.uniquescotland.com/raasayschool/index.html and its Lister ST2 ‘StartOmatic’ .

290911 014

With the very efficient solar panels and Harris hydro turbine that power the Old Schoolhouse Mr Lister seldom needs to start. However on the Sunday ‘changeover’ it was noticed that it wasn’t ‘startOmaticing’ so after having a cuppa with the present guests I got my meter out and had a look.

290911 015  290911 016

It turned out to be just a bad connection on that little chocolate block connector and was soon sorted.

By now wifey was home from her spell on the post, and whilst she put dinner on the cooker I put my ring gear on the oil stove.

290911 019

200 degrees is what the recommend for expanding a ring gear to sweat it on a flywheel but I had to make do with 117.2 🙂

290911 020

Though it went on no bother and being a second hand one I fitted it so the worn parts were in the opposite place to where the engine would normally stop 🙂

Advertisements

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.