Life at the end of the road

July 31, 2008

Getting the diesel and water flowing

Filed under: Uncategorized — lifeattheendoftheroad @ 9:33 pm

The day was not quite as bad as UK Wind Map was saying and despite a very wet start and end to the day it was on the whole pretty dry. The days first task after of course feeding was to go over to Torran and get the diesel flowing from the tank to the Lister ST 2 genny. It had run out of fuel yesterday and needed bleeding and whilst this is not usually a problem, the exceptionlly long distance from the tank to the genny means it can be a little arkward on this particular instalation. After straightening a kinked fuel pipe and tightening up a few joints I soon had it sorted and charging up the battery bank that supplies the house.

The system here at http://www.unique-cottages.co.uk/cottages/westcoast/skye/raasay_schoolhouse uses a combination of solar, hydro and diesel generator to charge up a 24v 900ah battery bank that supplies the house via a ‘Studer 2.5kw’ inverter/charger. Whilst not as sophisticated as the ‘Trace’ inverters it’s quite adequate if you can understand the manual.

A familly of newts

With the genny chugging away nicely I set off for North Arinish and my neighbours newt pond.

Actually it’s her water tank and as you can see it’s quite low though the newts didn’t seem to mind, though for some reason all my photo’s have started to go fuzzy when put on the blog. I do hope my dongle or pebble or whatever you call it that’s dangling out of the bedroom window in a plastic bag has not got water in it. Let me explain, I’m just trying out a Vodafone mobile internet package to see if it’s any better than my crappy dial up. Only trouble is that it only works in our bedroom with the dongle dangling out the window! which at the moment is presenting me with two problems, firstly it’s an awfull long way to the fridge and a can of beer and secondly the open window has resulted in a swarm of the dreaded Scottish midge entering the bedroom. I am not going to be popular tonight! Anyway after sorting out newt filters in the water tank and bleeding the water pipe I managed to get the water flowing and judging by the amount of rain that’s hitting our tin roof just now I suspect that the newts island is now underwater.

A very long name for a turbine

After the second breakfast of Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall sausages and Stornoway black pudding I set about  sorting the turbine with a very long name. XJ14-0.2DCT4-Z is a very complicated name for something with only one moving part and personally I think 200w high head turbine would have said allot more but there you go that’s what it’s called. I keep going on about the the poor build quality but it was only £234 and it was no worse than I expected so with this in mind I spent the day ‘sorting’ it

The first job being to replace all the crappy Chinese bolts and screws with freshly greased stainless ones. I also re cut the drunken thread for the ‘Turgo runner’ extraction bolt and greased that up. Turning my attention to the electrical side of things I repaired the broken socket, checked the connections, added tape, cable ties and silicon where required and rebuilt it. With all the rough edges filed off the water inlet and turgo nozzle I set about making up a housing for it out of a heavy galvanized steel drum.

And these photo’s are really crap tonight I wonder if it’s this mobile thingy

I also drilled and tapped a pressure gauge upstream of the shut off valve as I’d found this very usefull when setting up the ‘Harris Turbine’ and I suspect that the nozzle ( 18mm I think ) supplied with the turbine is far too big for my head and flow. BUT I’M NO EXPERT! Lots more happened today involving chasing piglets around the garden but I’m way too tired now as it’s work tomorrow on the ferry which means up at 5:30!

3 Comments »

  1. Photos look fine here. And that’s a rough looking casting!

    Comment by Stonehead — July 31, 2008 @ 10:23 pm

  2. Paul

    Photos are fine viewing on internet. As stonehead says casting looks poor.

    Comment by Phil — August 1, 2008 @ 6:50 am

  3. HI PAUL, SORRY FOR THE LATE REPLY. I BELIVE YOU WILL REQUIRE 36.4mm^2 AT 1 l/S SO A 6.8mm HOLE. FOR 0.5l/S YOU WILL NEED HALF THAT SO 18.2 mm^2, THERFORE A 4.8 mm DIAMETER HOLE.
    I HAVE A FEW DRILL BITS IN THAT REGION OF SIZES, POP DOWN IF YOU NEED THEM.

    THE VELOCITY OF YOUR JET WILL BE 26.89 M/S, IF OF USE WHEN ADJUSTING THE MACHINE. PELTON AND CROSS FLOW MACHINES REQUIRE THE RUNER TO BE TRAVELING AT HALF THE FELOCITY OF THE JET, NO IDEA ABOUT YOURS BUT I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF IT IS THE CASE TOO.
    I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY PIPE LOSSES INTO ACCOUNT!! LOSSES WILL INCRESE THE SIZE OF JET REQUIRED! IF YOUR FLOW IS UNDER 3 M/S IN THE PIPE THEY SHOULD BE NEGLIGABLE.

    CHEERS,

    JOHN

    Comment by JOHN MACBETH — August 5, 2008 @ 8:35 am


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply to Stonehead Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: