I got distracted yesterday, by the time I’d got home and fitted a new set of discs to wifey’s car I was in no mood for posting. Especially as we were in late after a bit of a picnic separating the piglets from their mothers. Not that the piglets were bothered, no they didn’t seem to give a fig, just like children remarked the wife The ‘old hand’ Jamie Lea, now on probably her tenth or twelfth was glad to see the back of them ‘hanging off her’ but poor Ellie was loathe to be parted from her eight little ‘babies’ We managed to get her out of the field no bother but she refused point blank to be led away into a field at the other end of the croft despite bribery with bread, bananas, nectarines and carrots. In the end we just left her marching up and down the line of the nearest fence to her litter, the piglets rapidly loosing interest in mum when we opened the gate that separated the two groups of piglets and let them ‘get to know each other’. Sadly, by now it was well dark and photographs were out of the question.
Shame because it was hilarious to watch the eight ‘tammies’, eleven ‘spotties’ and Molly charging about chasing each other, stealing food and generally larking about in the mud. Of course there was the usual testosterone fuelled scarps between the more aggressive types but they soon sorted each other out and eventually went to their own beds after an hour or so.
Back to Port Glasgow
Anyway, rewind back to Tuesday and my visit to the MV Hallaig at Fergusons.
This is looking forward, or at least I think it is kinda difficult to tell at this stage, but the square plate in the upper deck is for lifting the ‘Voith unit’ in and out. The picture is taken from the top of the gangway and I’m pretty sure it’s the starboard side look towards the bow as the mess room windows are facing the same way.
This will be the inside of the crews area which will include a shower and small office, it’s the ‘box’ below the wheelhouse.
This is from the forward end looking aft,
and this one from the massive, (or at least massive compared to the Loch Striven’s) car deck.
The accommodation, which I believe is going to be fitted out to a very high standard with semi reclining seats, not that there’s much time for a sleep on our twenty minute crossing
Down below in the ‘forward propulsion room’ we have one of the ‘Voith Schneider’ propeller units, similar to the Loch Striven’s but larger and with five blades instead of four.
Probably somewhere between the two
Hydraulic power pack being plumbed in.
Unlike the Loch Striven, the Hallaig will have two engine rooms separated by this ‘electro hydraulic’ watertight sliding door.
The main switchboard in position and boxed in with wood for protection during the fitting out.
Two of the three large Volvo diesel generators, again boxed in for protection during the build.
Good for another year
Today it was off for the MOT, which is basically the whole day really despite a 10:30 appointment at S Morrison’s in Portree. Ten thirty in Portree means the 8:55 ferry so leaving Arnish at 8:10 to allow time for dodging the potholes Finished and passed by 11:30 and it’s 14:00 by the time we’re back at Arnish, unload the car and have a cup of tea and its 15:00 with darkness just two hours away
Still, I did manage to take a diversion via Inverarish to view progress on the new ‘Heritage Centre’
that seems to be progressing nicely.
After doing all the aforementioned i set about what should have been a simple task of fixing an oil leak from the oil pressure gauge sender unit area of the Land Rover. First of all it could not be tightened due to it fouling the oil cooler outlet, with that removed and me duly covered in black oil I put a spanner on it, only to have it snap off in my hands
Never being one to panic in such a situation ( I am very adept at removing broken studs ) as I’ve had such things happen on many occasions, I looked for my ‘EASY OUTS’.
They’re like a tapered tap with a left hand twist, you just drill a hole in your broken stud and twist it in with a wrench. Fortunately my broken stud already had a hole in and was soft brass so it came out very easily.
That’s the tool going into the broken bit just by that ring terminal.
That’s the broken bit on the end of the ‘Easy out’, I just removed the ‘Y’ piece and refitted the oil light switch without the oil gauge sender until i could get a new one.
By now it was pitch dark, Ellie was hungry and I managed to coax her into the right field